Stepping Stones Foundation

Wilsons at “Bil-Lo’s Break”

This is one of Stepping Stones Archive’s earliest photos of Bill and Lois Wilson in front of their home at Stepping Stones, which was built in 1920. At first they thought they thought being away in the “country” an hour from New York City would provide a break from A.A. activity. They first called the homestead “Bil-Lo’s Break” but later renamed it “Stepping Stones.”

Lois wrote about their first visit to the house that would become their home in spring of 1941:

“It was a sunny March day with patches of snow on the ground. The interesting, brown-shingled, hip-roofed dwelling stood among trees on a hill, overlooking a valley. We were charmed…” -Lois Wilson, Lois Remembers