Adopt an Artifact
Adopt an Artifact – Protect the History You Love
Stepping Stones holds the largest collection of materials that belonged to Alcoholics Anonymous Cofounder Bill Wilson and Al-Anon Family Groups Cofounder Lois Wilson. The Adopt an Artifact Program at the historic home of the Wilsons is a way for you to help ensure the proper care and preservation of the entire beloved collection of 110,000 objects and manuscripts, and to support the nonprofit’s overall mission. Delight a friend or loved one by adopting an artifact in their honor or show your love for the recovery legacy of those who came before you by adopting an item yourself.
By making a donation, which is tax-deductible to the extent provided by U.S. law, the “adoption” helps us manage the professional maintenance, conservation, and storage of the Wilsons’ original belongings. It supports general maintenance of the specific item and the overall landmark’s mission, which may include specialized conservation treatment of a particular item. Artifact “adoption” or “sponsorship,” lasts one year from the date of adoption, is renewable, and non-exclusive. Adoption is not a “purchase” or “loan” of the item; no ownership is conveyed to the donor. Materials may be rotated in and out of display or be stored for treatment and/or protection. Adoption does not come with on-site recognition on or around the artifact so as to maintain the historic authentic environment, but adopters may be recognized below and in a print newsletter.
CLICK TO ADOPT To adopt for you or a friend, see artifact selection below and click here.
“Adoption” Levels & Benefits
Scroll down for artifacts available to adopt.
- Adoption certificate
- Name of Adopter (or “Anonymous”) as the artifact sponsor on “Our Adopters” list on this page
- Name of Adopter (or “Anonymous”) in our annual printed newsletter listing along with a tribute honoring or remembering someone special if you choose
- Admission to Donor-Only Series Events
$500 Adoption – All of the above benefits, plus…
- Picture of the artifact with description and explanation of the significance
- If the artifact receives special conservation, you receive before and after pictures
$1000 Adoption – All of the above benefits, plus…
- Social media shout out (unless you prefer to be anonymous)
$2500 Adoption – All of the above benefits, plus…
- Mention of your sponsorship in e-mail newsletter and/or newsletter note about the object
- Receive conservation or condition status reports on your adopted object
$5,000 Adoption – All of the above benefits, plus…
- Mention of your sponsorship during a live Stepping Stones event
- Behind-the-scenes tour of the home and archive or virtual tour for you and your guests with a Stepping Stones historian
- Gift shop product discount for phone or in person orders (20%)
- *Exclusive adoption of the specified item.
To adopt for you or a friend, see artifact selection below then click here for form.
Artifacts Available for Adoption Follow
If you would like to adopt a different artifact than those below, email email@example.com.
Adopt & Your Name or Honoree’s Name Can Be Listed Here!
The support of adopters helps us continue to care for and exhibit the rare and one-of-a-kind artifacts that connect us with the past. Thank you for helping to preserve the history of the Wilsons!
Marsha Thompson in honor of Mary Pearl Thompson
Lois’ Valentine to Bill
Anonymous in memory of sick and suffering
Anonymous in honor of Misha
Anonymous in honor of Lance
Anonymous in honor of My Love
Lisa Sbuttoni in honor of Michael Murray
Margaret Slomin in honor of Lawrence S.
Bill’s Writing Desk
Anonymous in honor of St Ignatius
Bonnie Tisi in memory of Johnny Trotta
Copper Tray from Arizona Al-Anons
Bert Whitehead Family
Father Ed Dowling’s Cane
Lois’ Dinosaur Garden
Sally Corbett-Turco in honor of Walter Stuart, Paul Capetillo, & Mike Shuster
Eileen Giuliani in memory of Lois Burnham Wilson
Pompano Beach Mens Al-Anon Family Group
Kalamazoo Area Intergroup
Jennifer Messer in honor of Jamie Jedlicka
Shoe with Cross Stitch
Laura S. Lexington, KY
Tea & Coffee Cups
Anonymous in honor of JoAnn Margulis
Anonymous with grateful love to Al-Anon
Kate W. in memory of Jeff Smith
Jean R. in honor of Cindy K.
Anonymous in honor of Dr. Ben B.
Anonymous in memory of Bill Borchert
Anonymous in memory of Captain Ken Youngberg
Anonymous in honor of Joan H.
Ruben in honor of Duane
Eileen Giuliani in memory of Nell Wing
Mike H., Sag Harbor, NY
Janet M., Al-Anon (IN & NJ) in honor of Al-Anon Family Groups
David P. for 37 years
Kimberly P., Spartanburg, SC
Louis Shaknitz in memory of Louis & Beatrice Shaknitz
Betty M. in memory of Janet R.
Tina DeMay-Johnson in memory of Robert Johnson. & Phillip DeGelleke. Alcoholism took them both